carsten nicolai

98% wasser

aquarium, water, aurelia aurita jellyfish
dimension variable
98% wasser

the jellyfish seems a relatively simple form of life with the vast majority (98%) of its body mass comprised of water. the remaining 2% that constitute the organism however are capable of directing the biological mechanisms of the animal in terms of movement, direction and reproduction. The attraktor (2002) projection presented with this installation is a simplified model of the mechanism of a constantly moving shape that receives its directions from the computations of a predetermined formula. The juxtaposition of these two works demonstrates the impossibility to explain natural systems entirely through complex abstract models.